TOP 5 BOOKISH CHILDHOOD MOMENTS
1. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. There was an old junk store on the way to my grandparents we used to always stop at and I picked out this big illustrated edition. I wasn’t even able to read yet and it had been written in by other children, my first marginalia! I still have this book.
2. Nancy Drew. I read all of the mysteries over and over and wanted to be Nancy Drew. Chalk my love of mysteries up to Nancy today!
3. Richard Scarry. I learned to read, write and spell and laugh on Richard Scarry. My older brother would read the stories to me and laugh so hard his face would turn beet red. I still have some of these books.
4. E.B. White. My first boxed set: Charlotte’s Web, Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan. I still cry over Charlotte and I still love boxed sets.
5. The Bookmobile. I can still recall the smell and the space of visiting the library Bookmobile with my mom each week From as young as I can remember, the delight of the experience is still vivid. My mother and I have always bonded over our love of the written word and I thank her for giving me an early love of Books.